Friday, October 9, 2009

2009 Motobecane Outcast 29

I ordered a new 2009 Motobecane Outcast 29 from Monday, September 28th. It arrived on Friday, October 2nd at my door via UPS. It was 90 percent assmebled and the remaining 10% was a snap. Just had to put on the handle bars, pedals and Seat post.

If anyone wants detailed instructions for this particular model and I can provide them via this blog. Otherwise bike tutor is a great online source for that sort of thing. I just put it together. No instructions necessary. All I needed was the good old Hans tool and some Anti-Seize grease. (some allen wrenches were all I used on the Hanz tool.)

It has been over a year since I have ridden a bicycle to work. (my 1999 Schwinn Mesa GSX was stolen from work Fat Tire stole Bikes) In that year my weight has increased, my Cholesterol has increased, my blood pressure has increased while my stamina has decreased and my ability to enjoy the weekend rides has decreased.

Everything in life involves momentum and when I found this 29er on closeout I knew the time to make a change arrived. At the rate and direction I am heading, in another year or so the only thing I would be able to enjoy would be watching TV and eating.
So I was able to ride the new Outcast 29 to work three times this week. I enjoyed my commute each time. A co-worker and fellow biker told me that the commute was the best part of his day when he rides in. I won't go that far, but I will say I enjoy riding the Outcast to work (and back home!).

It had been awhile since I rode a single speed ridged bike. Found myself reaching for the gear changer at first, but I didn't really miss the gears. (Keep you posted if I ever take this one out on the trails). However, I was surprised out how much the front shocks had been smoothing out my rides. Again, you get used to it. Not really necessary for a commuter bike. The outcast comes with a second set of cogs should you want to change the gearing. It was fine as it came for me. Another option is switching to fixed gear mode. This just means that you will have the ability to ride backwards but you would have to pedal all the time. I never have had the need to ride my bikes backwards, so I am leaving it in Freewheel mode for now.

I'll add a new post once I hit the trail. The single speed may be just the handicap I need when riding with 'Rest break' Phil, but the guy goes crazy fast on the downhills. May even change his nickname to 'Downhill' Phil. First time mountain biking the guy jumps off a five foot bank and doesn't even slow down.In the meantime if you see Phil taking a break on the trail, don't worry. He's okay. Also a nice handicap for riding with my nephew, but I guess he is riding a single speed ridged bike himself.

So long for now, Frank

Map of the main portion of the Papagos. Over in Phoenix. Rode out here instead one day.


  1. Sweet bike now you are ready to ride Tom's Thumb on Sunday with us. Don't warry there is some hike-A-bike invoved. The last time I rode it took me three house up half hour down.There is alot of stuff to check out call me Darren.......

  2. Darren, How is that Tom's Thumb? Technical? How tough a workout?

  3. I probably wouldn't want to do it on the outcast. Single speed, ridged bike.

    This bike is great for a commuter.

    Also gets you in shape real quick when you take it out on the dirt.